Camu Camu Vitamin C Boosting Smoothie Bowl
I love my morning porridge, but on warmer days having a smoothie bowl is exactly what I need for a refreshing breakfast or post-workout meal. Smoothie bowls are not only aesthetically pleasing #instaworthy, they’re also a great way to pack a punch of nutrient-dense foods into one meal. This smoothie bowl is made with camu camu, which has the highest amount of naturally occurring vitamin C content of all plants, making it perfect for when you need a little boost.
A South American berry found in the Amazon rainforest, camu camu has 60 times more vitamin C per serving than oranges and has powerful anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin C is important for supporting the immune system and protecting the body against free radicals, so I like to add a little camu camu to my smoothies if I feel like I’m coming down with something. It’s also great for supporting the function of your adrenal glands, which can easily be overworked from the stress of everyday life and lead to adrenal fatigue, where you may have symptoms like constantly feeling exhausted, craving salty food, dizziness etc.
As I was using camu camu, I also added beetroot for its iron. I used beetroot powder but you can also use fresh beetroot — the colour will be more vibrant! Whenever I’m eating something high in iron, I like to pair it with something high in vitamin C as well as vitamin C helps the absorption and efficiency of iron in the body.
Another reason why camu camu works well in a smoothie bowl is because it is heat sensitive and its nutrients can be degraded when exposed to heat. This is often the case with a lot of superfoods, except personally for me maca, which I can only digest when it has been heated or cooked. Something else I’ve been loving recently is adding seeds to my meals as they are great for balancing hormones. In this smoothie bowl I’ve added pumpkin, flax and sunflower seeds but feel free to play around with whatever you have at hand.
So the next time you’re craving a sweet treat or a refreshing snack, give this smoothie bowl a go. It’s an easy way to add superfoods or nutrient dense foods to your diet and is super quick and easy to prepare!
Recipe: Camu camu vitamin c boosting smoothie bowl
• 2 frozen bananas
• ½ avocado
• 2 dates
• 2 tbsp fresh coconut milk
• 1 tsp camu camu powder
• 2 tbsp beetroot powder (or ½ small fresh beetroot)
• 2 tsp ground seeds (I use ground flax, pumpkin & sunflower seeds)
• Mango, diced
• Coconut yoghurt
• Granola, cacao nibs, goji berries
1. Make smoothie bowl. Remove the seeds from the dates and add the flesh with all the other smoothie bowl ingredients to a high speed blender. Turn the blender on high. You may need to add more liquid if your blender is less powerful. Blend until smooth. The consistency should be thick, not too liquid!
2. Garnish & serve. Serve your smoothie bowl in a coconut bowl (optional but extra smoothie bowl points!) Decorate with a dollop of coconut yoghurt, your favourite vegan granola and the rest of the toppings.